Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] bugs (new user)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 08:58:49 +0000

On Fri, 2012-11-16 at 23:30 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 11/15/2012 03:40 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
>
> > > 2)Quitting denemo fails consistently.....compiles Lilypond then partially
> > This is a bug in Denemo on windows. It is actually another copy of
> > windows that has been started to make a thumbnail, and that is hanging
> > on exit because the portaudio library deliberately hangs. The
> > thumbnailing should not be attempted on windows (as it is not used by
> > windows) - 1st bug, *and* we should be compiling portaudio with a flag
> > to make it not do that hanging (bizarrely, there is a flag to turn this
> > behavior off - I have no idea why they think it is useful).
> Should we have the thumbnail code commented out in windows.
I already wrote the needed conditional, but I evidently got it wrong, I
will try to remember to fix it. It is all part or print.[ch] creating
a .png

>  Is that what the code in screenshot.[c,h] does?
No, that is taking screenshots of source manuscripts etc from the screen
for including beneath the Denemo measures - the actual images are stored
with the denemo file so you can review the original and your
transcription at a glance.

> In a branch I called apple I have -DWITHOUTH_SCREENSHOT commenting out
> this code because It does not compile for mac with a native quartz
> backend. Now that I am thinking about it.... maybe the pango font
> issue would be resolved if I used the x11 backend to gtk/pango/cairo
> thing. Without some hacking it will probably feel weird on that
> platform because mac users expect to close an application with
> apple_key-q. we use ctrl-q. print is usually apple-p. Can these be
> changed with a command set or something?
That should be just a different shortcuts file, but it does depend if
the window manager/os intercepts these keystrokes (e.g. with the idea of
sending a signal to the program).

> I will look into the portaudio
portmidi IIRC
>  thing. That is probably what is causing the crash in the Linux binary
> snapshot when the preferences save.
It should only cause a crash if there is an error in the i/o at that
stage - e.g. if you switch off your midi controller then it will do this
horrible exit thing, saying "Press Enter" on the console (if there is
one).
I put in code to stop you turning MIDI-in on while you have unsaved work
because of it exiting like this if you don't have a MIDI controller
switched on and plugged in.

>  I think the prefdialog does an audio system restart every time the
> preferences are saved.
yes, at least if the MIDI tab is (visited? altered? ... or just
anyway??? I didn't do that bit)

Richard