Re: [Denemo-devel] French translation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] French translation
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 09:15:11 +0000

Eeek! These are derived files (derived so that xgettext can see the
strings - part of the pharaonic activity required to make the scripts
translatable). The script utils/extract_all.sh creates them from the
files under actions/menus/... which is where scripted commands are
created by Denemo. I should have made extract_all.sh insert a comment
warning that the files were derived - I see that I did insert one such
comment, but it ends up buried halfway down POTFILES.in, what was needed
was something in the extract_scheme.c code. To make matters worse, the
scheme code being internationalized is escaped for storage in XML so
editing the script files under actions/menus needs to be done a little
judiciously (it is only basically < and > that need watching for, I
don't think I encountered a problem when I trawled through them all
looking for strings to translate, it would only happen if a string used
those characters, which become &gt. or some such.)
I did encounter one file which I broke trying to make translatable - it
was the dynamics. I'll try out your version to see if you succeeded.
I am sorry I left that booby trap, all this stuff should be in the make
system, of course ... there is one part of the creation of the
translatable sources that involves compiling Denemo with a special flag
and then running it to generate c-source code, that would be hell to get
working in the make system :(

Welcome to the world of 13 years of crusty old code :)

Richard