Re: [Denemo-devel] more of "Immediate Playback"

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] more of "Immediate Playback"
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2012 11:17:22 +0000

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 07:58 -0500, Bric wrote:

> Now -- weird (interesting) results:
>
> While in the Drum (Percussion) Staff/Clef, altering notes with
> ShiftRealHalfUp/Down, and with your scheme snippet appended on the end, here
> is
> what I get:
>
> With a single note head, I get MIDI piano sounding.  No percussion.

yes, that snippet I gave you plays channel 0 program 0, I suspect there
is also some command for playing what is at the cursor in
channel/program that belongs to the staff the cursor is in.

> However, with a CHORD, the bottom note of the chord is sounding MIDI piano,
> while the top notes are rendered as percussion.

So in addition to the play command my snippet has introduced, there is a
play according to the staff settings for what is at the cursor.

> Moreover, and probably stemming from same "bug"(?):
>
> When I view the scheme script in the View->Scheme Script window, and click on
> the "Execute Script" button -- the note DOES change, but no sound is played
> for
> a single-notehead note.  For a chord-note, however, I hear percussion (and NO
> piano).
Not sure what that is about ...

> I will check the scripts that I tried to modify yesterday and remove any
> instance of your snippet I may have placed somewhere, while poking around.
>
> But the different behavior in monophonic versus polyphonic notes is unlikely
> the
> result of *MY* editing.
>
> While doing the same in Treble or Bass Clef Staff, there's more unique
> weirdness:  monophonic notes are sounding like piano, but polyphonic notes
> sound
> are rendered with the polyphony
I guess you refer to playing using the staff settings for
channel/program (ie MIDI instrument chosen for staff) here?

>  but with some cutoff/break point where the pitch
> skips/increments exceptionally.
Well, the duration for the snippet is also prescribed in the
d-PlayMidiNote (as 1000 ms for a duration of 1 second)
if the note is played by the insertion command for the duration that the
written note prescribes then the MIDI note off message will cut off the
note being played by d-PlayMidiNote if it is in the same channel...

HTH

Richard