Re: [Denemo-devel] Fairly good news Re: MIDI in on windows binaries

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fairly good news Re: MIDI in on windows binaries
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2013 20:46:35 +0000

On Tue, 2013-01-08 at 12:38 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 01/08/2013 09:20 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > The bad news is that rc6 has regressed from rc5 in having no portmidi.
> >
> > Presumably this was what the -D_HAVE_PORTMIDI_ flag above was for ...
> > question is, how did you get the rc5 mingw built?
>
> What I did differently on rc5 was that I manually did:
> cp denemo-0.9.6/portmidi/* denemo/portmidi
>
> then ran:
> make dist
>
> So I copied all the old portmidi .c ,.h and Makefiles over. The problem
> with this is that this only build for windows then. What is in git is
> supposed to be build for three targets mingw, darwin, and linux.

The tarball that we issue as the release should be something that will
configure, make and make install on GNU/Linux. I take it that is what
the current master does.
How we put together these release binaries is pretty much up to us, it
will be very nice if we can provide a gubbable tarball that works for
all platforms but I don't think we need to. As a practical matter, can
we tell gub what denemo tarball to download? Indeed can we give it one
from the local machine? If we can do that then as long as all the
sources are somewhere in git, we can hack as much as we need to in order
to create binaries. Well, I guess to make it possible to re-create the
executables we should store the tarball(s) we let gub create the
executable from.
But the release just needs to build using standard build tools, not gub,
that is, the release is the source which distros can make their
executables from.

Is there a binary for GNU/Linux systems that I can test - the last time
I had one it did something wrong (fonts I think it was)? I can't test
Mac, but that too would be good if we can have it.

Well, that's how I see it :)

I don't think I can take the final step of creating the windows binary
without knowing how to control where gub gets its Denemo tarball from,
if you can help me with that.