Re: [Denemo-devel] Fairly good news Re: MIDI in on windows binaries

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Fairly good news Re: MIDI in on windows binaries
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 09:06:44 +0000

On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 15:50 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 01/10/13 15:33, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-01-10 at 12:45 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >> I just uploaded a new one:
> >> denemo-1.0.0.~rc.7-1.linux-x86.sh
> >> Midi input worked for me.
> >>
> > I have installed this. I get audio out and the display ok. But MIDI-in
> > has only ALSA as an input possibility, no portmidi.
>
> Oh. I thought that was the alsa backend for portmidi. Ok. I guess I have
> more learning to do.
Yes, I made the mistake of working my way through the alsabackend.c code
when das created the real-time stuff, only to find that it is not
compiled for the default build. It is another backend we use
(port<something>.c)

> > And, more worrying,
> > I cannot typeset - it seems LilyPond won't run. I have tried putting the
> > full path to LilyPond in the preferences to no avail. Does it print for
> > you?
>
> No. It does not work. I don't have any clue how to change that. Is it an
> environment variable?
Hmm, there are a heap of env variables which we were trying to set up
for Windows and Mac, things like GUILE_LOAD_PATH. I thought our default
GNU/Linux build was just assuming there was an executable called
lilypond in the PATH env variable, and that it was an installed lilypond
(so that it would find all its own things).
My guess is that you have activated some of that g_setenv() code for
this linux build, and it needs debugging - I think there should be print
statements at startup when these are set.
I see these two messages on startup:

prefix=/home/rshann/denemo/usr
GUILE_LOAD_PATH is
/home/rshann/denemo/usr/share/guile/1.8::/home/rshann/denemo/usr/share/denemo

I am not sure if they are appropriate - there is obviously a blank been
inserted, /home/rshann/denemo/usr/share/guile/1.8 is part of the
install, it exists ok. Is GUILE_LOAD_PATH supposed to be a ':' separated
list?
It would be a good idea to print out all the enviroment variables at
startup...

HTH

I will be suffering flaky connections for the next while, but hope we
can get this release stable over the next week.