[Denemo-devel] MIDI note input by rhythm?

From: Angel de Vicente
Subject: [Denemo-devel] MIDI note input by rhythm?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 10:37:33 +0000

Hi,

I posted the question at the Linux Audio User mailing list, but I didn't
get any positive answers, so I try here.

At the moment I just enter a score in either GNU Denemo or Rosegarden (I
like the two step method in Denemo so that I first enter note duration,
and then I enter the notes), then just tweak a little bit the tempo and
the velocities to make it more musical and then I play along with
that. But the whole thing is very time consuming, so I'm looking for an
alternative way for note input. I am hoping for the reverse:

1. I just enter the notes, regardless of the duration of each of them.
2. Then I go into a second phase, where (using the PC keyboard or a MIDI
   keyboard) I just worry about the rhythm (the note durations). Every
   time I press a new key in the keyboard the program would play the
   next note from the ones entered in step 1. and record its duration. I
   don't care about how the score will look with these durations. I just
   want an easy way to create a more musical accompaniment. This way, at
   this step I only have to worry about the durations of each note.

In other words:

What I'm looking for is actually a way not to give notes a defined
time. I want to be able to simulate a "live" playing scenario, when each
note is going to have durations that certainly are not going to be exact
time durations (1/4, 1/2, etc.), but I lack the keyboard abilities to
input a moderately complex piece this way, hence my search for a
two-step solution, where first I enter the notes, and then I only have
to worry about the duration of the notes, by pressing the same keyboard
key repeatedly, but hopefully, listening to the previously entered
notes, for feedback. I think this would allow for a really easy way to
create more musical MIDI performances (the alternative of tweaking
durations via the sequencer is what I do now, but it takes a lot of
time...).

Is this something possible with Denemo? If not, is this something that
could be implemented in a reasonable simple way? I would be willing to
contribute. I have plenty of programming experience, though not in the
music field.

Thanks,
--
Ángel de Vicente