Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI note input by rhythm?

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] MIDI note input by rhythm?
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2013 20:21:34 +0000

I wrote the email (below) with only a short while to consider what it
was you wanted to do. Afterwards, I started to wonder...
Is it the case that you want to create a performance by inputting the
notes first (slowly and out-of-time because of the difficulty of playing
the piece) and then add the rhythm by tapping (avoiding the difficulty
of finding the notes at the speed desired)?

I have an unfinished project inside Denemo which does collecting
timings: it is for mixing live-performance audio with MIDI from a score.
To synchronize I tap a key at the start of every bar. It seemed that
there was a some source of noise in the timings captured, and I didn't
get as far as tracking it down (I experimented with capturing the
timings directly in C from the gtk key press event, thinking that
interpreted scheme might be too slow, but I still couldn't convince
myself that I could get a steady set of timings from beating the space
bar regularly). This experience may be relevant to what you are seeking,
but, as I said above, I am not so clear what it is you want to do.

Richard