Re: [Denemo-devel] The 1.0 release

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The 1.0 release
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 12:23:52 -0600

On 01/22/13 11:01, Richard Shann wrote:
On Tue, 2013-01-22 at 09:27 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
I wrote autotools files for portmidi and created a tarball of it. At the
moment it only compiles for linux. I then created a gub file. You can
see that in gub/specs/portmidi.py after doing a git pull. Once I have
this working for windows also we can remove
portmidi from denemo. I think it is a mess anyway. Is there any reason
to keep it with out code if we get this working reliably?
No, no reason at all - but I am puzzled how the libraries libsmf etc are
being found (presumably!) while libportmidi is not - the files from
configure.ac downwards appear to be in order. What mystifies me is the
autogen.sh step - you said IIRC that gub does not do it - how does it
get the makefiles if not?

I am currentan ly uploading denemo-1.0.0.~rc.7-3.linux-x86 that I just
created linking against this libportmidi.la that was created from this.
I tested and confirm that portmidi is working this way in the linux
build.
I just downloaded denemo-1.0.0.~rc.7-3.linux-x8 and installed it on my
debian stable box. It errors at startup like this:

  denemo
/home/rshann/bin/denemo: 41: cannot create : Directory nonexistent
/home/rshann/denemo/usr/bin/denemo: error while loading shared
libraries: libportmidi.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory

Thats weird. I compiled libportmid in a .la. If I am not mistaken this is static lib. I found this website talking about libs and .la files:
http://openbooks.sourceforge.net/books/wga/dealing-with-libraries.html
If that is true that it is static, then it need not be distributed. I just edited the portmidi.py and created a portmidi tarball for win32. You can find this file after a git pull and looking at gub/specs/portmidi.py. I compiled a mingw build and linked against it. i have not listed it in the denemo.py as a dependency because it has not been tested enough. I am not sure if the files listed in dependencies determine if it is distributed in the binary or not.

I just uploaded a mingw binary linked against this lipbortmidi:
denemo-1.0.0.~rc.7-4.mingw.exe

and indeed there is no libportmidi in ~/denemo/usr/lib where the others
are.