Re: [Denemo-devel] customizing layout templates

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] customizing layout templates
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 19:26:13 +0000

On Sat, 2013-01-26 at 19:56 +0100, Federico Bruni wrote:
> Hi there
>
> I'm playing with the Score Layout.
> AFAICS editing it in "graphical mode" is not that easy. For example, I
> don't know how to add a Staff.
> So I'm using the Lilypond text mode, which works great. But I have a few
> questions.
>
> 0) Where can I save my own templates?
File->Save->Save Template will save it for you (somewhere
under .denemo-xxx).
> Currently I have this:
>
> ls ~/.denemo-1.0.0~rc8/
> actions  autosave.denemo  denemohistory  denemorc  state.ini
>

> 1) When creating a template, the settings should be in custom layout or
> in default score layout?
Template files are just ordinary Denemo files. They may or may not have
custom layouts in them. The commands File->Open->Open Template and
File->Open->Open Custom Template only differ by the directory at which
the file chooser opens - you can open any Denemo file with them and it
will act as a template (that is, it will become an Untitled score once
opened).
So a template can have custom score layouts or not depending on what you
want it to be.

> Actually, it seems that I cannot edit the default layout.
Correct. The default layouts are those Denemo generates (full score,
movement, part). Custom layouts are generated by the user and are saved
to disk with the file.

I think at the moment there is nothing to say open this file and select
custom layout <name>, but you can do this. You would have a short scheme
script
in your case it could be simply:

(d-SelectFirstCustomLayout)

If you put this in the scheme window and then save the file then it will
be run each time the file is opened. (There are further commands to
iterate through the layouts, get the names etc, which are used for
printing all layouts).

>  When I do, a
> custom layout is automatically created. I've looked some template file
> included in denemo and I've seen that they have just the default layout.
Mostly they are ancient...

> I wonder if this is going to be a problem (see next point)
>

> 2) (maybe related to the previous point) Try the attached template. When
> you start entering notes, in the print window you'll see just the Staff.
> You have to click on Typeset in the print window and only then the
> TabStaff will appear.
So if you use the above script it should typeset the selected layout
from the start. (I haven't tried this...)

> 3) Finally, there's any recommendation for contributing templates?
> I'll work on a Staff+TabStaff template in the coming weeks (I need some
> time to test it and see how things work in Denemo).

Jeremiah will give you git access I'm sure. Otherwise mail them in I'll
push them to git.

> Thanks in advance

Thank you!
Richard
p.s. I haven't re-run the Help Manual update yet, so these layout
manipulating commands are not yet listed in the manual :( I was having
docbook trouble at the time.