Re: [Denemo-devel] Building 1.0 for windows

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Building 1.0 for windows
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 17:50:38 +0000

On Tue, 2013-01-29 at 07:41 -0600, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 01/29/13 02:47, Richard Shann wrote:
> > I wonder how we should proceed with release 1.0.
> > The builds that I have done from gub for windows all issue warnings
> > about fonts and on at least one xp machine I have tested they crash.
> > One approach would be to review how things are being built for windows -
> > I came across this site which details building stuff for mingw
> >

> > http://ingar.satgnu.net/devenv/mingw32/gtk.html
>
> This looks like a pretty good site. They are using more modern software.
> I can try to put this stuff into gub to see if it helps. I believe the
> 0.9.6 denemo mingw release used an entirely different set of software.
> Perhaps we have a bad combination of versions or something. I could
> create a branch in gub called release-0.9.6 or something that we could
> use for testing. This will tell us if we have something in our code that
> is causing the crash or its our dependency versions. I have been trying
> to experiment with upgrading things lately.
I have just had the opportunity to install the last mingw build that I
created on a fresh xp machine. It looked fine, I entered a few notes &
played them back, they simultaneously typeset etc, but when I examined
the output of denemo-console.exe it was malfunctioning in a completely
new way. The g_dir_open_utf8 was still being passed a Null pointer, but
after that guile couldn't load modules correctly. When I then checked,
the program was indeed failing all sorts of commands. I think we
shouldn't publish a windows binary in this case, since we will generate
confusing bug reports and create a bad impression of Denemo.

> > In particular it lists
> > cd fontconfig-2.9.0 && ./configure --prefix=$LOCALDESTDIR
> > --enable-libxml2 --disable-docs
> > for building fontconfig, which does not appear remarkable; I wonder if
> > we have a correct fonts.conf and so on in /etc...
>
> Its probably worth investigating.
>

> > Another would be to put the release out and our best binary build for
> > windows (& others) and await feedback, issuing fresh binaries if people
> > find better ways of building the sources.
>
> Yes. That would work.
So, since emailing you I have concluded (see above) that we don't have a
usable binary build for windows.

>  We are going to stagnating if we keep playing
> around with gub if you ask me. I consider it a small miracle that we
> actually have gub even producing a target.
>

> > Jeremiah - I have lost track of the status of the build of a binary for
> > GNU/Linux distributions - do you have something that is a good candidate
> > for release?
>
> evince does not work on gtk3 based distos. Evince does not load its pdf
> backend. It is looking in /usr/lib/evince/2 or something. I created a
> symlink and the warning went away but pdf still did not load. I also
> think that the people who will be downloading binaries in this fashion
> are probably people who don't feel like going through ./configure;make
> etc... or it is people who don't know how. I am guessing that a large
> portion of these people are running modern system based on gtk3.
... and from this I think you are saying we don't have something really
useful for GNU/Linux. But if we don't release the source code it will
not start making its way into distributions...

What do you think - shall we make a release of the source code but wait
until we have binaries built from it to announce on various forums?
If so, I will go ahead with a last turn of the manual/language update
thing and we could freeze the code.

Richard