Re: [Denemo-devel] Success building Denemo from git master for windows

From: Peter Teeson
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Success building Denemo from git master for windows
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2013 15:23:08 -0500

Speaking from a Mac programmer point of view (MacOS is basically a Unix type system).
Threading usually has a main thread which spawns other tasks that could be cpu intensive or otherwise lengthy.
The OS will allocate them as it sees fit to cores/CPUs as it sees fit.

When the main task quits it should first terminate, in an orderly fashion, any threads it has created.
This is usually done with the appropriate signal or function call depending on the OS implementation.

Some OS' will forcibly kill all the processes associated with the main one.
But this means the programmer was not as polite as they should be.

I know nothing worth knowing of Windows OS' so can't comment further on that.
But the design of threading is not new and I would imagine Windows does the same sort of thing.

respect

Peter