[Denemo-devel] Video Demos

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Video Demos
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2013 20:26:17 +0000

On Mon, 2013-03-11 at 13:56 -0500, Jeremiah Benham wrote:

> > I have made a new video, this time with two recording devices, the
> > screen recorder and a camera capturing the pc & MIDI keyboard
> action.
>
> Did you post it on denemo.org? I plan on creating more videos.
No, the one from the camera is still a 70Mb AVI file...

>  I think we will reach the point soon that we will need to host the
> videos on youtube and link or embed them on denemo.org. Videos take up
> alot of space. More people will discover it on youtube anyway. I guess
> this requires gnash or flash to watch though.
Must be something - I seem to remember that videos on youtube don't
display on my box - something proprietary I've no doubt.

> > just have to figure out how to composite these two together. Any
> > suggestions welcome.
>
> I have used cinelerra before. It worked well if you export to raw
> uncompressed quicktime then use ffmpeg to put it in compressed format
> like ogv or something. This was several years ago and there are
> probably better or simpler programs out there by now.
I've had a read up about that now - looks like it would work - something
strange about its licensing though.

> > Richard
> > BTW Jeremiah - what were the key presses you were using to input the
> > notes on your Demo video?
>
> I used A-g for the note entry, shift 0-4 for changing rhythm to be
> entered, tab to toggle on/off triplet, and ,' for octave shifting the
> notes.

Is that something you do a lot of? Or were you just doing it for a demo?
You were quite quick at entering the music that way. A day or so ago I
was away from home and typeset some short pieces for someone using the
cursor keys to position the cursor and the numeric keypad for the
durations. That's especially good if you don't read the clef fluently.
My first attempt at God Save the King was a bit hampered because I was
playing it by ear, but then I thought to have my first version in view
when I made the new video, so I could just read the music from that. It
worked out at about 40 seconds to typeset it (that is, playing in twice
at 20 seconds each).
Where Denemo wins over wysiwyg programs is if you have things like text
and so on and then transpose the music - LilyPond moves the stuff around
to accommodate the new positions of the notes while a wysiwyg program
would have to leave it where you put it (I guess).