Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu fonts

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Menu fonts
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 15:04:08 -0500

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 10:12 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sun, 2013-03-17 at 12:47 +0000, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> On 3/14/13, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2013-03-14 at 17:49 +0000, Jeremiah Benham wrote:
> >> The second problem is that evince is not finding its pdf modules. It
> >> is looking in /usr/lib/evince/2 (or something like that) when it
> >> should be looking in $prefix/lib/evince/2. This could probably be
> >> fixed with an environment variable. I might have to look at evince's
> >> code.
> >
> > I am not sure about this one - when asking on address@hidden
> > about the windows case I got this suggestion from Hib Eris
> >
> >> You can take a look at the Evince for Windows application,
> >> ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/binaries/win32/evince/2.32/evince-2.32.0.145.msi
> >>
> >> (when you run the installer, choose 'Advanced'; it will allow you to
> >> specify the folder to install in so that you can take a look at the
> >> files in that folder).
> >
> > I don't know if that would be at all useful though.
> >

> I would have to try that it wine. I am not sure if it can execute .msi
> files. I got a bit further on this issue though. I added
> $PREFIX/lib/evince/2/ to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH. Now the error has gone
> and a new one is in its place:
>
> ** (denemo:166): WARNING **: Trying to read the pdf file
> file:///tmp/DenemouAI4WV/denemoprintB.pdf gave an error: File type
> application/octet-stream type (application/octet-stream) is not
> supported

Just a thought:

Did you establish that file:///tmp/DenemouAI4WV/denemoprintB.pdf will
open with a pdf reader?

Yes. This file *did* open in a pdf viewer. I believe this was the same problem I had on the GNU/Linux version of the gub build.

Jeremiah

the error message comes from print.c as follows:

 EvDocument *doc = ev_document_factory_get_document (uri, err);
  //gint x = 0, y = 0, hupper, hlower, vupper, vlower;//store current
position for reloading
  //get_window_position(&x, &y, &hupper, &hlower, &vupper, &vlower);
  if(*err) {
    g_warning ("Trying to read the pdf file %s gave an error: %s", uri,
(*err)->message);

So the call to ev_document_factory_get_document with the uri
file:///tmp/DenemouAI4WV/denemoprintB.pdf is giving that error message.
This is the documentation for that call:

>                 Creates a EvDocument for the document at uri; or, if
>                 no backend handling the document's type is found, or
>                 an error occurred on opening the document, returns
>                 NULL and fills in error. If the document is encrypted,
>                 it is returned but also error is set to
>                 EV_DOCUMENT_ERROR_ENCRYPTED.

I suspect this is calling ev_document_load ()
which is documented as:
>                 On failure, FALSE is returned and error is filled in.
>                 If the document is encrypted,
>                 EV_DEFINE_ERROR_ENCRYPTED is returned. If the backend
>                 cannot load the specific document,
>                 EV_DOCUMENT_ERROR_INVALID is returned. Other errors
>                 are possible too, depending on the backend used to
>                 load the document and the URI,
>                 e.g. GIOError, GFileError, and GConvertError.

> I did a little bit of googling and it seems that its a mime type
> association. Many people have solved this by setting this in some
> file. I will have to investigate this issue further.

I don't see anything likely there - I have emailed the evince list, in
the hope of some guidance.