[Denemo-devel] Something Sensational

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Something Sensational
Date: Sun, 12 May 2013 19:08:37 +0100

Well, if you are interested in MIDI. I just added half a dozen lines
into Denemo that affect what happens when you listen to your MIDI
keyboard. That is, you set the CapsLock and play on the controller.
The effect only applies if you have set Dynamics Compression to 100,
that is no dynamics (you do this in the Audio/MIDI tab of the
preferences).
What Denemo does is play the note again as you release the key, but much
quieter - very quiet if you have held the key for a long time, louder if
you have just struck the key quickly.

The result is that the savage damping which is usual (the note stops
completely the moment you release the key) is turned into the more
realistic damping you get on musical instruments.

Now, I confess I've written this feature with a harpsichord font in
mind, and as it is operating on program zero, it is a bit specialized at
the moment since most soundfonts have a piano there. But it actually
makes a better piano sound to I think.

If anyone is knowledgeable can they tell me is such an effect known
about in MIDI circles (I can't find a trace of it), and anyone else who
cares to try it I would love to hear what you think. I confess the
effect I have created is just a first attempt - I haven't played around
with the volumes involved etc.

Note that it only happens if you set Dynamics Compression to 100, even
99 will not do this.