[Denemo-devel] Denemo sporadic crash on startup.

From: Richard Shann
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Denemo sporadic crash on startup.
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 17:21:30 +0100

I have noticed a crash that occurs occasionally on start up.
I have devised the following script

echo "COUNTER is " $1 && ./denemo -a "(d-Quit)" && COUNTER=$1 && let
COUNTER=COUNTER+1 &&  [ $COUNTER -le 500 ] && run_forever.sh $COUNTER fi

You need to have this in the path, and to have the version of denemo you
are testing in the cwd.

This runs Denemo up to 500 times. Run on recent versions of Denemo it
crashes after a certain number of iterations (I have seen it last for
216, other times just a few dozen or less).

The crash is either a segmentation fault, or sometimes an exit by the
memory allocator complaining of corruption. The call stack in this case
goes back to a scheme error callback.

I have run the test on the latest release without it crashing (I had no
limit, and it got up between 600 and 1000 iterations and then my O/S
seized up - I was running the system monitor and it showed swap starting
to get used up, then most everything froze and I lost control over mouse
and keyboard - disk activity was continuing and I forced a shut down
after a while).

With it happening so rarely this will be difficult to pin down to a
particular check-in. I think it goes back a couple of weeks or so at
least.

If anyone cares to run the test please let me know what you find - I am
running gtk2 and guile-1.8.7