Re: [Denemo-devel] mode again

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] mode again
Date: Sun, 26 May 2013 21:36:35 +0100

On Sun, 2013-05-26 at 13:56 -0400, Bric wrote:
> I'm excited about using version 1.0.2
You can go better, 1.0.3 is available and already has many improvements.

> however, I don't want to switch out of my old 0.9.3 until I can get 1.0.2 to:
>
> produce notes by pressing the a,b,c,d,e,f keys
> produce rests by pressing shift+[0,1,2,3,4,etc]
> use numeric keys to set duration of an existing note

Well, it is certainly a trivial exercise to set this up.

> and provide other goodies i've become used to in 0.9.3

Generally, we have never dropped a feature intentionally, even though it
has meant carrying large amounts of obsolete code around ...

> !
>
> the modes are still a mystery puzzle.  (Honestly, why can't there be an easy
> way
> to switch from one to another!?)

but modes? modes???
I am not sure what you mean ... You don't still have a menu called
"Mode" up there do you? Having a program with modes is just a bad idea,
you find yourself forever getting some effect you didn't expect when you
press a key because you are in the wrong mode. So (although I confess it
was me that introduced them) I have left modes tucked away as an obscure
option for a long time now, so long that I can't believe you are really
using them. In fact the CapsLock acts as mode switch key in the current
Denemo, which is mostly a reason not to use it :)