Re: [Denemo-devel] Disabled Forums

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Disabled Forums
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 09:24:39 +0100

On Sun, 18 Aug 2013 00:57:55 -0500
Jeremiah Benham <address@hidden> wrote:

> ok. Thanks! Do you think that we really need a forum? Do users really
> need a forum?
Forums make it easier to give & get feedback, but until the user-base
grows they are costly to maintain. Nils switched to this CMS because
the other one was getting spammed, and I suspect this one would need
constant upgrades and other maintenance to keep them at bay.

> Maybe the server will not crash as much now. If we
> really need that kind of stuff I would probably look for a different
> CMS.
Yes - it would need a CMS which continuously upgraded itself to armor
itself against the latest attack methods - so whoever created it would
need to be an ongoing organization committed to maintaining it.

What this episode made me realize is that there is quite a bit of stuff
of value (IMHO!) on the site, the stuff explaining what Denemo can do
and especially the comparison pages; this information is not AFAIK
available elsewhere on the net. It made me think about back-up - is the
site backed up at all? If not, would wget be able to get me a copy of
the site as pages (IIUC the "pages" on the site don't actually exist
until requested, just a database of information ...)?

Richard