Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with wide characters on upgrading to guile 2.

From: Mike Gran
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Problem with wide characters on upgrading to guile 2.x
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2013 11:45:40 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard-

> scheme@(guile-user)> (string-append "  " "hello")

> $1 = "  \ue176hello"
> scheme@(guile-user)> (display  "  ")
>   scheme@(guile-user)> (display  (string-append "  "
> "hello"))
>   helloscheme@(guile-user)>
> I notice that I do not have LC_ALL set in my environment.
>
> From inside Denemo scm_c_eval_string() is being used to evaluate a
> string that includes this wide character and that is throwing the
> exception.

I've been gone a while, so I don't know what the latest is.
But based on old knowledge...

1. Make sure that you Guile script files are UTF-8.  If they
are not, you'll need to explicitly put a "coding:"
declaration at the top of each file.

2. In the inner_main of your scm_with_guile call,
try calling scm_setlocale.  Maybe something like this?
(This shouldn't make a difference, I think.
But, if it does, it says something interesting.)

scm_setlocale( scm_variable_ref(scm_c_lookup("LC_ALL")),
scm_from_locale_string("") ); If that actually works, lemme know.

-Mike