Re: [Denemo-devel] table of midi-to-percussion values

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] table of midi-to-percussion values
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2013 19:46:27 +0100

On Wed, 2013-10-02 at 13:15 -0400, Bric wrote:

> > > I see one *.sf2 file in the source tree:  soundfonts/A320U.sf2
> > >
> > > This is the one and only, right?
> > yes
> >

> > > I guess I need to use and external tool to manifest the midi instruments
> > > with
> > > English labels (?)
> >
> > ???
> > In the staff properties dialog, MIDI tab the instrument names are taken
> > from the sound font that you have loaded.
> >

> (1) I don't see percussion instruments listed there (even when i've designated
> the primary clef as percussion clef)

yes, that's true: the channel 10 = percussion thing is one percussion
sound per MIDI note, whereas the other instruments are a single
instrument with different pitches for each note.

> (2) even if thery /were/ listed, I'd have to retype it all by hand.  (Well,
> OK,
> I could do that, but wouldn't the list vary according to the font, as you
> indicate?

The list is the list of instruments provided by the soundfont one for
each program number, they can be assigned to any channel except channel
10 (I think that's the way it works).

> (3) In wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_MIDI , the percussion
> mapping shown doesn't seem to correspond to the default percussion in the
> denemo
> soundfount.  Correct me if i'm wrong and crazy.

I just tested, e.g. 71 is short whistle 72 is long whistle (72 is the C
above middle C). The drum clef is based on a bass clef as far as MIDI
key numbers is concerned, so the bottom line of the staff is g (low tom
1).