Re: [Denemo-devel] another stupid question

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] another stupid question
Date: Thu, 03 Oct 2013 10:29:19 +0100

On Thu, 2013-10-03 at 04:58 -0400, Bric wrote:

> > > Yes!  I was blind!
> >
> > Not at all. I set about creating a command that I thought was there,
> > wrote the script then found it in the menu system. It is a serious
> > problem, finding commands even when you know they are there. It is only
> > going to get worse as the vast number of things you can do with LilyPond
> > all have their own devoted users.
> > Eloi bravely offered to tackle this problem, but it is a hard nut to
> > crack...
> >

> Thanks.
>
> For now, I think, a more realistic goal would be adding searchability in the
> "manage command set" dialogue.
>
> Such that when you start typing it pulls up the commands containing your typed
> string.  Also a button (or drop-down) to filter out only the commands that
> have
> (an) assigned keyboard shortcut(s).
>
> That way you can manage the assigned keyboad shortcuts, and generate a list of
> such (as in "look-up table"). Right now you've got to scroll through a huge
> list
> of code-looking "words" that are merely synonyms of the descriptors in the
> menus
> (not always instantly recognizable at that). And the existing list can't be
> sorted alphabetically or by checked/unchecked (assigned/un-assigned).
>
> Consequently, to uncheck/remove an associated shortcut is quite
> time-consuming.

I don't quite understand this remark. To remove a shortcut you just
assign it to something else (there is a null command in the More menu if
you want it to do nothing).

> there are a few other miscellania that seem like relatively quick fixes.

sadly, little is quick .... except ....

> Improving playback, i think:  Instant playback is still quirky, and it would
> be
> supercool, super helpful to have click-playback, and even cursor-right
> playback
> or something like that (to cursor forward from note to note and hear the
> notes,
> at your own, manual cursoring pace).  I believe Rosegarden has click-playing,
> for example.  Right now, in denemo you have to delete and retype a note or
> flatten/sharpen it (!) in order to hear it in isolation (outside of automatic
> full playback).
>
> It would be ABSOLUTELY INVALUABLE to be able to hear a vertical slice of the
> music

this is (in its simplest form) trivial. You need to execute this:

(DenemoSetPlaybackStart)
(d-MoveCursorRight)
(DenemoSetPlaybackEnd)
(d-Play)

If you put that in the Scheme window and click execute, then that bit of
scheme scripting does what you want (in principle).
There are some complications, and a full script running up and down the
staffs muting all the ones except the current one would be more
long-winded, but that does the basic at least in simple cases.
I'll turn that into a command when I get a moment (you can do this
yourself too meanwhile, right click in the playback menu and Save as New
Menu Item), and you can assign a mouse shortcut to it (you may need to
ask for help, the interface to setting mouse shortcuts is viciously
obscure)

Richard