Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Palettes
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 08:14:29 +0100

On Tue, 2013-10-08 at 22:56 +0200, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 06.10.2013 12:34, schrieb Richard Shann:
> > Oh, it just occurred to me - you could undock all the palettes and then
> > dock them again in the order you want them to be.
>
> But I can't get them beside each other, they are always below each
> other,

Well, the horizontal ones are always below, and the vertical ones always
beside. (You can also make a palette into a block-shape with the
vert/horiz-limit option - this gets quite confusing, though, if the
palette is docked).

To fill out the space on one palette you need to move another palette
(or the parts of it you want) into the first palette. This will all
hinge on the minimum window width you want to use, your screen width and
the size of the labels & font size you use.
I don't know any way of deciding how to pack everything to suit
everyone, but I hope with the tools available here an attractive window
can be made to suit any user.

>From your personal point of view, which buttons would you want to be
there by default, and how arranged? This is perhaps a difficult
question, because if one had the answer one would probably set about
creating keyboard short cuts for those buttons, having thought about
them so much.

Personally, I have had buttons to turn on the figured bass MIDI filter
and to edit the bass-figure at the cursor on my title bar (using the old
mechanism of "put the command on the title bar"), but this is because I
wanted to use the standard set of keyboard short cuts that Denemo ships
with. If I didn't do that, they could become broken and I wouldn't know,
until someone helpful (like you!) told me about it.

Perhaps the most important thing is, as Eloi said, the first impression.
A set of palettes and their disposition that would feel familiar to
users of commercial notation programs would be good to have as the
start-up configuration. Can this be done with the present tools?