Re: [Denemo-devel] restore default "score layout" ?

From: Bric
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] restore default "score layout" ?
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2013 17:13:27 -0400

On 10/06/2013 01:11 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
On Sun, 2013-10-06 at 10:05 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
On Sat, 2013-10-05 at 16:21 -0400, Bric wrote:
On 10/05/2013 04:09 PM, Andreas Schneider wrote:
I got to Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> Built-in Staff Properties:

A dialogue pops up, labeled "Staff Properties", with two tabs - [Display
Appearance] and [MIDI]

In the "Display Appearances" tab there is a box labeled: "Staff name".
I type in that box. Click "OK".  That effectively updates the Staff
label in the main denemo workspace window.   BUT IT DOES NOT MAKE ANY
LABEL APPEAR IN THE TYPESET WRITTEN (RENDERED) MUSIC WINDOW. NOTHING.
Once again: DO *NOT* USE THE STAFF PROPERTIES DIALOG! THIS IS A SEPARATE
COMMAND! Look at Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> Instrument Name
(directly in the Staff Properties submenu, *not* in the Built-in Staff
Properties dialog.

A-ha! Finally, we're getting somewhere. We've spotted that which does
not exist — for me.

Under Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> { ... }

I've got only two sub-items: [1] Built-in Staff Properties and [2] Edit
Staff directives

There is no

Under Staffs/Voices -> Staff Properties -> Instrument Name

for me.

(If I understood you correctly)

What to do?
do

cd ~
mv .denemo-1.0.9 HIDE.denemo-1.0.9
then re-run denemo. You will have "lost" your shortcuts, but they can be
retrieved.
(I say they can be retrieved because if you mv the newly-created
default .denemo-1.0.9 and mv the .denemo-1.0.9 back to take its place
then you will have them back again. They are stored
in .denemo-1.0.9/actions/Default.*)

But the question is, how to retrieve the Default.shortcuts without also
getting the Default.commands which is out-of-date.

What should work is

cp ~/HIDE.denemo-1.0.9/actions/Default.shortcuts ~/.denemo-1.0.9/actions

done *after* the default (updated) .denemo-1.0.9 has been created.

What was intended when this code was written was that you should use the
command manager to load your old command set (so under Edit->Customize
Commands..->Manage Command Set you choose Load Custom Command Set and go
to your old Hide.denemo-1.0.9/actions/Default.shortcuts and load it. But
this procedure may be broken.
I have just tested this out and it is not broken; it is working fine. So
whenever you have a new version of denemo from git (ie with the same
version number) first
mv ~/.denemo-1.0.9 ~/HIDE.denemo-1.0.9

then run the new denemo and choose Edit->Customize Commands ... ->Manage
Command Set

choose "Load a Custom Command Set" and navigate to

~/HIDE.denemo-1.0.9/actions
and open the Default.shortcuts file which you have there.
The do "Save as Default Command Set"
and you should have all the new commands and all your old shortcuts.

Of course, if it is a new version number then you don't have to mv
the .denemo-nnn directory you can just load your custom command set from
the old one as the new version of Denemo will be using a new .denemo-xxx
directory.

Mostly worked for me, like you described. In addition to doing that I also pulled the latest git and recompiled.

Now exploring the updated menus and also the score layout (I now finally see a whole bunch of menu items now, under Staff/Voices -> Staff Properties, including "Instrument Name").

So, in the "score layout" I x-ed out the staff I want to suppress/make non-printable, and it disappeared from view, was forced to create a custom layout, and the unwanted staff disappeared from the typeset music. OK. Fine and dandy. But how can I bring the suppressed staf back if/when I want to?? Seems there should be an easy way to do so. (Similar to the old, phased-out printable/non-printable toggle).

And can't one create MULTIPLE layouts? If so, how do you initiate the creation of a custom layout? I don't see it in the interface.

And, yes, the "score layout" idea looks promising. It's cool to be able to click on "Staff size" and edit alter that... etc.

Also, I'm looking at the palettes for the first time, and to digress a bit: they reminded me that there was no "undo" and "redo" buttons in the main button row. And, yes, I'm a strong adherent of keyboard commands and don't care that much about the GUI buttons; however, in spite of this, a few times I found that my "mouse-clicking rhythm" broken because I couldn't click on "undo" or "redo" button(s)

yes, you won't lose anything as long as you move your .denemo-1.0.9
directory first, and then use the "what should work" bit above.

Had to subdue the overwhelming tool-tips, afresh ;-)) — but no biggie (increased the time-out values)

Well, in fact you won't lose anything in any reasonable circumstance,
but you will get an old Default.commands that doesn't correspond to the
current set of menus, causing confusion.