Re: [Denemo-devel] Continuous Integration

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Continuous Integration
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:35:46 -0500

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 5:22 PM, Éloi Rivard <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi,
I recently discovered continuous integration tools, and this is great! The principle is to build a project and run some tests in different environments at each commit (continuously). Each build is made from a clean new distro image. You prepare some scripts to install the dependencies, and some other scripts to build the project and run some other tests. Then you can check the result somewhere, on a webpage for example.
A lot of services exist: Travis, Jenkins, Wercker etc.

This is great to easily spot regressions on projects that can run on several environments, such as denemo.

I played a bit with Travis-ci and denemo: https://travis-ci.org/azmeuk/denemo . It is synchronized with my github account: https://github.com/azmeuk/denemo
For the moment the only test done is compilation, but it is very flexible and it is possible to run some unit tests. Unfortunately, there is no test suite in denemo :). However, a good non-regression test could be to launch the program, check that commands are correctly launched for instance, and close it just after.

It works great with gcc and clang, and fails with mingw as I did not prepared a good script to run. Jeremiah, if you want to help me there, you are welcome :) Your gub fork fail to download ImageMagick.

This sounds interesting. I am not sure how much I can help because I have very little time to work on this stuff. I could potentially install jenkins on denemo.org but I am not sure what the size requirements would be. I will give it a thought after checking out their website and perhaps some docs. That is unless the travis-ci thing is better suited to our needs.

Jeremiah

The main drawback here is that Travis seem to only works with Github. Other repositories are available if you pay. To use continuous integration with denemo, it is either needed to use another service or copy each revision into a github repository. Create a synchronized github clone of the savannah repository can easily be done. Jenkins for instance is a free ci system, but to use Jenkins, a dedicated host is needed.

Well, I would like to know your thoughts about this. Do you like the idea ? Which service do you prefer etc. Should I commit my Travis scripts to master if someone is interested ?