Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] lilypond version weirdness
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 17:33:21 +0100

On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 12:20 -0400, Bric wrote:
> On 10/21/2013 08:39 AM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Mon, 2013-10-21 at 09:43 +0100, Richard Shann wrote:
> > [...]
> >> Denemo is currently outputting \version "2.16" unless you set
> >> Score->Score Properties->Paper->LilyPond Version
>
> !?!  How would one *intuit* to find it there?  Especially since other,
> higher-level menu items refer to "lilypond", whereto it would be more
> appropriate to attach.
>
> Or is that what your "eek!" is referring to?
yes, that's what the eek is, how on earth would you find that.

> >> (eek!, that is some horrible old built-in thing)
> >>
> >> Denemo does have code for detecting the installed LilyPond version,
> >> but
> >> it has been disabled for a while now due to some complications (with
> >> windows I would guess).
> > Actually, the main complication is this: if you set the LilyPond version
> > in the score properties dialog then when you open the same score a year
> > or so later LilyPond will complain that the version is old. So, instead
> > the default is for Denemo to output the current (stable) LilyPond
> > version statement. On GNU/Linux we could pick up the actual installed
> > LilyPond version and use that (and indeed, we could apply the convert-ly
> > utility to the Denemo LilyPond output, code to do which is also present
> > in Denemo, but lying unused).
>
> Roger.  Thanks for the uninstall script tip for lilypond  (duh! i missed
> it earlier)
>
> > I presume you are aware that you can specify which of your installed
> > LilyPonds to use? (Via the prefs, Externals tab).
>
> Yes. But no.  I did specify my "/usr/local/bin/lilypond" version there
> (which is 2.17.7) , but it made no difference in the *.ly file.  Anyhow,
> with my 2.16 gone, there's nothing more I can do to/with denemo about
> that... (unless I misunderstood), until denemo is coded to generate
> higher-version compatibility (requirement)

yes, changing that won't change Denemo's output because we no longer
read off the version of LilyPond that is going to be used, but changing
the value in the score properties should alter what Denemo generates in
the LilyPond. The downside is that you when you move on to 2.18 you will
find LilyPond complaining about your version statement ... Denemo will
be made to follow suit and put /version 2.18 at that stage, but your old
score will have that 2.17 coded in it ...