Re: [Denemo-devel] why some menus are not translated (even if string is

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] why some menus are not translated (even if string is translated)?
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2013 09:02:37 +0100

On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 23:43 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
> 2013/10/22 Richard Shann <address@hidden>
>         On Tue, 2013-10-22 at 14:34 +0200, Federico Bruni wrote:
>         >
>         > 2013/10/22 Federico Bruni <address@hidden>
>         >         just a minor thing: the first time I run Denemo all
>         the
>         >         palettes are opened in many separate windows. It's
>         slightly
>         >         annoying.. especially because in View I find only an
>         option to
>         >         show the hidden palettes, no option to hide them
>         all. I'm
>         >         missing something?
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         >
>         > oh no, the windows are opened again if I restart Denemo
>

>         This should only happen once in your lifetime as a normal user
>         (now that
>         we have the upgrade feature). Once you have closed all the
>         palettes you
>         don't want they won't reappear until you unhide them.
>         I think what you are seeing comes from making a clean start
>         (e.g.
>         deleting .denemo-1.1.1 in or not taking the "Keep my shortcuts
>         etc"
>         upgrade option).
>
>         I think it is important that the first time user sees as much
>         as
>         possible, so they know that such a thing is possible, and will
>         then go
>         looking for it.
>

> Yes, I agree.
> First time user should know that just closing the palettes won't make
> them go away at next restart; they should be hidden explicitly.

I am not clear about what you are saying here: at present closing the
un-docked palettes means they are hidden and will not re-appear on
re-starting Denemo. Currently there is no user-method of actually
destroying palettes, which, because the implementation is so simple,
actually consumes time at startup; it would be good to know if anyone
with a slow machine finds this an issue - I could add "destroy" buttons
which could set the user's palettes.xml file to an empty xml document
saving time at startup (and at the same time a button to remove the
user's denemo.scm which would enable them to get rid of buttons they may
have added to the toolbars).