Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Help Needed
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2013 16:43:10 +0000

On Thu, 2013-12-12 at 11:59 +0100, Edgar Aichinger wrote:
> Am Mittwoch, 11. Dezember 2013, 17:44:34 schrieb Richard Shann:
> > > Yes, We could use the OpenSuse build system to build the .rpm, or .deb. I
> > > will have to try and remember my old password.
> >
> > > If a user clicks on one of these files will their package manager fetch
> > > all its dependencies from the distros repository?
> >
> > Can someone who knows please answer this question? I think the answer
> > will be yes if by "clicking" we mean running apt-get install or WHY,
> > because the debian package holds that information in a form ready to be
> > used by the package manager. In any case, installing run-time
> > dependencies would be better than having to install the development
> > libraries, toolchain etc needed to build Denemo.
>
> Sorry for replying late, I was a bit busy yesterday.
>
> OBS (created by openSUSE but called Open Build Service now) offers a
> convenient
> way for installing these generated binary/noarch packages (noarch is just a
> special case for packages that contain only human readable files and thus can
> be read on any architecture, like e.g. init scripts, and the user usually
> isn't even presented this detail when choosing something to install).
> There's a powerful search engine at http://search.opensuse.org/ - choose
> Build
> Service in the menu on the left, type denemo to the search bar and it comes
> up
> with a list of all available built and published packages, for any distro
> they
> exist for.

Am I reading this correctly when it only says "unstable" for denemo for
all the versions of openSUSE. And does that mean that nothing "stable"
is available to users of that distro? I have a similar problem when I
visit the Debian site, it gives some 0.9 version as the version
available in all versions including "testing".

>  At least for openSUSE variants you can then simply click the
> "One click Install" link, which will execute a scriptlet to ask for root
> password, start your package manager, add the repository containing the
> desired build, and install the package including all the dependencies,
> without
> further user interaction (except maybe clicking ok again once or twice).
>
> That's just one way to go though, also the project page on OBS offers a
> Download page with different methods, see
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:edogawa/denemo
> (upper right side)
>
> The package maintainer has to make sure though that these dependencies are
> seen by the package manager. In case the standard distro repository doesn't
> include them, but are built in some other OBS repo, he should probably create
> a link to the needed package which effectively creates a copy in his own
> project.
> I had to do this for lilypond for a while pre oS-12.2 IIRC, because openSUSE
> didn't ship it as
> part of the main distro, only via the multimedia:apps project on OBS.
>
> I see Jeremiah has branched denemo and tries to build for Fedora:
> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:jjbenham:branches:home:edogawa/denemo
>
> I haven't tried to do other distro builds myself yet, but i believe that
> there's a set of rpm macros to use for adjusting to different distros
> (install
> locations, different dependency names etc.) while keeping the build
> instructions in one .spec file, but this is well documented in the OBS wiki,
> http://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Build_Service_cross_distribution_howto
>
> Hope that helps,

Thank you very much for the reply. I hope we can get something of use to
a broad selection of GNU/Linux and BSD users.