[Denemo-devel] Messages in console

From: Éloi Rivard
Subject: [Denemo-devel] Messages in console
Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2013 00:13:43 +0100

Hi,
I have improved the way Denemo prints messages in the console. Now there is a bit of color, and every log level has its meaning:
Images intégrées 1

There is several log level (Debug, Info, Message, Warning, Critical and Error). You can print a message using glib functions g_debug, g_info, g_message etc and scheme functions d-Debug, d-Info, d-Message etc. The carriage return is automatic so you should not end messages with "\n". For example use g_warning("foobar"); Colors allow you to focus on interesting information.

There is two new options you can pass to the program: --verbose and --silent. The first one enables every messages, and the second one disables them all.

Here is what I think about log levels should mean, let me know if you disagree :
- Debug : Information useful to developers. You should compile with -DDEBUG and use --verbose to see debug messages.
- Info : Information usually uninteresting for users, but may help the user to report a bug. You need to use --verbose to see info messages.
- Message : Regular messages, interesting for users (e.g. "Portmidi initialized")
- Warning : Unwanted but not dramatic stuff (e.g. "could not load foobar.denemo")
- Critical : Not dramatic stuff, it should not kill the program, but it should make tests fail (e.g. invalid scheme function use)
- Error : Dramatic error, kills the program.

g_print function should be avoided as much as possible

If all of this is OK for you, I will write some documentation on the website.