Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-feedback

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo-feedback
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2013 16:30:23 +0000

On Wed, 2013-12-18 at 16:52 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:
>
> Some more feedback:
>
> I just tried working with MIDI entry, and the workflow does not cut it
> for me.
>
> For one thing, entering the rhythm first is a really bad idea.  I mean,
> like REALLY bad.
>
> Why?  Because it means that the _second_ phase, namely entering the
> pitches, is where you have to get everything _right_ or things will get
> ugly.  And correcting the ugly things requires the _computer_ keyboard
> rather than the MIDI device.
>
> You'll probably say I should get used to having one hand on the computer
> keyboard and another on the MIDI device.

Well, if you play a wrong note then you want to move the cursor left;
and I guess you are right that with a MIDI keyboard you could do this
with the other hand. But you don't have to play so fast that playing the
wrong note is something that happens often.

> The MIDI device in this case is an accordion.  It is filling my lap.  It
> wants holding with the left hand (which is threaded through a strap) and
> keying with the right hand.  They computer keyboard is not easily
> reachable, and when I _do_ reach it with my right hand, for example to
> type backspace, I lose the place on the accordion which is a chromatic
> button accordion, meaning that the "keys" pack one homogeneous area with
> circular buttons in a staggered-row pattern and the only orientation is
> relative.

You mention the backspace - that would delete both rhythm and note -
what you need is cursor-left, then you just repeat the note.
The solution to getting a cursor left lies with setting up a suitable
MIDI signal to do this. I had originally envisioned turning these into
user-settable short cuts (like key and mouse shortcuts are), but didn't
get round to it yet. But there are the hooks there: for example, on my
MIDI controller there is a large wheel called "Modulation" and I use it
to push the set of sharps and flats in either direction (when the piece
changes key so much that it is using d-sharp instead of e-flat for
example). The other one that is set up by default to enter chords is the
foot pedal - that could be used to issue a cursor left.
I am not sure how it would work if you simply wanted to assign some
little-used note to this task - there is a general MIDI intercept which
leaves it up to you to process all the incoming MIDI. I think you would
be writing a few lines of scheme then. (There is an example, the Angry
Delete command, where you play a note above a certain velocity -
loudness - and it backs up and overwrites the previous note). It's been
some years since I did this stuff, and the scheme makes me blush to look
at but it is there in the menu system (right click and Get Script).

> So when I do the pitches, I don't want to do corrections.  That means
> pitches need to go first, not durations.  Because otherwise my bad notes
> cause things to go out of sync.  If there is nothing there yet, nothing
> can get out of sync.
>
> How would that look?

I guess it will look like this:

https://vimeo.com/81814901

uploaded yesterday!

>  Basically, I'd expect to enter pitches by having a
> bar-less system where I just get to see noteheads.  Like some old form
> of hymnal notation.
>
> Deleting spurious bad notes can be done in the second, computer keyboard
> phase as I have a backspace for that.  Alternatively, backspace over
> them in the input phase by hitting a cluster.  Though clusters make it
> more difficult to keep position again.
>
> Now of course, the accordion also has a left hand: bass buttons and
> chord buttons.  It would be nice to press a chord button and _get_ a
> chord rather than a sequence of three notes.

With the method shown in the that demo you can use the Ins key to
collect up the chord while you are putting in the rhythm.