Re: [Denemo-devel] Third question - importing MIDI file crashes with flu

From: Philip Rhoades
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Third question - importing MIDI file crashes with fluidsynth errors - latest RPM?
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2013 07:14:51 +1100

Richard,

On 2013-12-22 03:47, Richard Shann wrote:
On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 09:06 +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
Richard,

On 2013-12-20 09:03, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-12-20 at 08:50 +1100, Philip Rhoades wrote:
>> People,
>>
>> When trying to import this:
>>
>>    http://sglyrics.myrmid.com/boxer2.mid
>>
>> I get a crackling sound on the speakers and continuous errors like
>> this:
>>
>>    fluidsynth: warning: Ringbuffer full, try increasing polyphony!

I was a little glib in my reply: while what I said is true, in this case
you have hit another problem which is fixed in the guided MIDI import,
namely the score is being created without turning the playback off! So
every note it enters it immediately tries to play.
What you may find works is to use Edit->Change Preferences->Audio Midi
tab, and turn off the first item "Playback Notes Immediately"

Yes, that cured the repeated error message but after a few minutes, Denemo seemed to finish loading the 33 instruments but there was nothing much in the staves and it didn't play anything . .

>> before having to close the file selection window which crashes Denemo.
>>
>> Is that particular file a problem or is there something more general?
>
> Probably the particular file. The latest stuff has a guided MIDI import
> which will probably let you attack such files: only very simple MIDI
> files stand a chance of getting usefully imported at present I think.

Right.

> I am not sure if there is a binary of the latest stuff though - which
> system are you using?

denemo-1.0.0-0.fc19.x86_64 (Fedora - RPMs)

There is someone who builds for Fedora I think (see earlier emails on
this list), if you can get the latest 1.1.1 code built you could try
guided MIDI import.

It was just an experiment for me - I can wait till the new stuff filters through to the Fedora distros but if the Fedora builder here sees this note and wants to point me to their RPM that would be nice!

Regards,

Phil.
--
Philip Rhoades