Re: [Denemo-devel] make check fails

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] make check fails
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 20:04:44 +0100

Am 30.12.2013 17:42, schrieb Richard Shann:
> On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 16:13 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
>> On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 16:23 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
>>> When I run make check with fakeroot (which is invoked by the script
>> for
>>> Debian package creation), I get lots of dialogs such as:
>>> Could not create .denemo for you personal settings
>>
>> this is a failure of the call
>>
>> g_mkdir_with_parents (dotdenemo, 0770);
>>
>> trying to create a directory in the home directory (as returned by
>> g_get_home_dir() ).
>>
>> I gather that fakeroot gives more, rather than less privileges,
>
> reading a bit deeper, what it does is to pretend to the caller that it
> has root privileges when in fact it does not. (So reporting success on
> file operations that would succeed with root privileges but which have,
> in fact, failed). I can only imagine that g_mkdir_with_parents() is
> incompatible with it. What are the implications of this?

Yes, Denemo tries to create /root/.denemo etc., but does not have the
rights to do that. The result is that every time one builds a Debian
package in a graphical terminal (i.e. xterm or similar), dozens of
message boxes appear, or, if you're building on a text console (without
graphical environment). make check fails.

Andreas