Re: [Denemo-devel] make check fails

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] make check fails
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 19:14:24 +0000

On Mon, 2013-12-30 at 20:04 +0100, Andreas Schneider wrote:
> Am 30.12.2013 17:42, schrieb Richard Shann:
> >> for
> >>
> >> this is a failure of the call
> >>
> >> g_mkdir_with_parents (dotdenemo, 0770);
> >>
> >> trying to create a directory in the home directory (as returned by
> >> g_get_home_dir() ).
> >>
> >> I gather that fakeroot gives more, rather than less privileges,
> >
> > reading a bit deeper, what it does is to pretend to the caller that it
> > has root privileges when in fact it does not. (So reporting success on
> > file operations that would succeed with root privileges but which have,
> > in fact, failed). I can only imagine that g_mkdir_with_parents() is
> > incompatible with it. What are the implications of this?
>
> Yes, Denemo tries to create /root/.denemo etc., but does not have the
> rights to do that. The result is that every time one builds a Debian
> package in a graphical terminal (i.e. xterm or similar), dozens of
> message boxes appear, or, if you're building on a text console (without
> graphical environment). make check fails.

I wonder how other packages are built - many create a .xxxx directory to
hold stuff... perhaps all that is needed is to leave these are console
warnings, a normal user won't encounter this anyway.
I don't think Denemo relies on the stuff in .denemo actually being
readable later in the program run (hmm, it *might*).