Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-identifiers.c

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] scheme-identifiers.c
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 10:47:24 +0000

On Thu, 2014-01-23 at 10:32 +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Why are those commands here anyway ? I mean, don't you think it would
> be cleaner to keep them all as XML files instead of C code ?

They are primitives that are needed by Denemo's scheme. Initially the
primitives were precisely the set in menu.c, ie built in commands from
the initial writing of Denemo activated by keypress or menu click. This
did not allow for querying, so at first I extended commands like set
initial timesig take a parameter to query the initial timesig.
But then there were things that this was not enough for - e.g. querying
how many notes were in a chord, and so I added the new primitives which
are added as GtkActions to the action group and made callable from
scheme via scheme-callbacks.c and scheme-identifiers.c

A clean-up would obviously be a Good Thing. Is GtkAction like
GtkTextBuffer, something we can use non-interactively (without calling
gtk_init)? We could create all GtkActions by a single mechanism perhaps.
Perhaps it is desirable/possible to get rid of denemoui.xml and instead
create all the menu items via more primitive mechanisms.

I have found where (exit) is called - it is in a definition for the
FinalizeTypetting procedure setup by Arranger.scm, for running
d-CheckScore before printing; I'm looking into fixing it.

Richard