Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows build

From: Jeremiah Benham
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Windows build
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 10:30:55 -0600

On Fri, Jan 24, 2014 at 02:13:32PM +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Hi,
> At the moment Windows build is a bit difficult, and need some external
> tools (gub, mxe ?) that don't have the same behavior depending on the
> machine they are executed. There is no documentation about that. The result
> is that Windows build cannot be automated. And if the build cannot be
> automated, no integration test can be run on it.

I can have my server do it as a cron job? I have not got around to it but I may
have time to do it today. Shall I set it to once a day, ...... once a week?
Does that even work with what you had in mind?

> We could just manually build .dll dependencies (with the help of gub for
> example). Then we could carry those binaries and their headers in the
> repository (or if you prefer, a subrepository, as git allows this). This
> way we would control our build environment, and we would be able to build a
> windows binary in a deterministic way.

It sounds like a great deal of work. Gub is going to need some serious
upgrading soon anyway. That is if we are going to migrate to gtk3. gtk3 > 3.1
requires glib > 2.29. Glib > 2.29 requires mingw64. mingw64 requires > gcc 4.?
etc.....
I think for the future of the mingw build, maybe we should consider switching
to MXE. It already has glib 2.36, mingw64, etc.. I can build denemo in it (last
tested about a month ago). I have an experimental gtk3 build. I don't know if
it runs. We hit a snag with guile missing a dynamically loaded module. I don't
know how to set environment variables in windows. I rarely have access to a
windows machine. Most my testing is with wine. If I can't get it to work with
wine, I just consider it broken. It needs some environment variable change or
perhaps it can fixed by compiled with a little -rpath= magic. Does windows even
support that?

> The only constraint would be to manually update dlls when we need a newer
> version of a dependency.

I noticed that OpenSuse build system supports building for mingw. They have
mingw64 and many dll's prebuilt and in their repositories.

> What do you think about this ?

For now gub work for a gtk2 build. I don't to have to do all the work in future
upgrades by myself. I would nice to use something that has more synergy like
OpenSuse build system or MXE. The MXE build is almost ready. It is still gtk2
buit it has the dependecies to build gtk3. Once we do a little massaging to the
MXE build we can later switch to it once it is stable.