Re: [Denemo-devel] Source directory

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Source directory
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 18:05:06 +0000

On Thu, 2014-02-27 at 17:29 +0100, Éloi Rivard wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At this time we have more than 200 source code files in the src
> directory. This is a lot! :)
>
> I suggest we create a few subdirectories so we can see a bit clearer.
> That would also help new users that may want submit a patch for
> instance, because all those files are bit confusing right now. Maybe
> we can have something like:
>

> src/
>
>  - generated/ This one already exists
>
>  - import/ Sources related to file import (midi, musicxml, .denemo)
>
>  - export/ Sources related to file export (lilypond, midi, xml, tab,
> pdf, png etc.)
>
>  - backends/ Sources related to audio backends (alsa, portmidi,
> portaudio, fluidsynth, jack etc.)
>
>  - ui/ Sources related to dialogs (command center, preferences,
> dialogs, palettes etc.)
>
>  - scripting/ Sources related to scheme and scheme callbacks
>
>  - core/ Others general sources (utils, main, commands loading etc.)
>

> What do you think ? Did I forget something ?
Well, drawing the display is one category for sure. And "backends" is
not a good name for something that has to do with playing - the main
sort of backend in Denemo is not listed - the creation of the finished
score for printing, printview.c I guess.

There are also the sourceaudio and source-something-I-forget-what that
open things you are using to create the score from - a pdf of a
manuscript, or an audio or midi track.

And then there is the stuff (also "sources" of a sort) for getting MIDI
in and Audio In.

>What do you think ?

Well, unless I learnt some new commands, it would slow up my work. When
I want to find which file has a function definition in it I type grep
functionname src/*.h (there is a horrible drawingprims.h which defeats
this :( ) and then I only have one place where I need to open the file
from. Are you using some IDE to do this sort of thing? If you *do* have
an IDE then I guess you never know where the files are anyway (?)

Perhaps first might be rationalizing the distribution of code in the
files - commandfuncs.c is the worst offender, whoever created that was
thinking of organizing in the opposite way to the person who created
staffops.c measureops.c, lilydirectives.c etc. And I think view.c still
contains all the code to do with creating and following rhythmic
patterns (my fault that). And utils.c is another howler - at one time,
early on, it was being used for common elements of the display-drawing
code, but it more properly has stuff that various other departments of
the code might use.