[Denemo-devel] What I learned about using an ossia staff to represent tw

From: Ellen Schwindt
Subject: [Denemo-devel] What I learned about using an ossia staff to represent two voices in a single part
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2014 08:32:34 -0400

Hello denemo users and developers,

I'm using denemo 1.1.9 on Windows

I'm in the middle of a project involving a score that needs to have two voices shown in two parts--recorder and clarinet.

At Richard's suggestion (thank you Richard) I used an ossia staff.

What I learned might be useful to others

Make sure that all the measures really have the same time signature when you insert the ossia staff. Of course this would be easiest if you planned ahead and inserted that staff from the beginning.

Use spacer rests (Notes/Rest--Rest Insertion--Insert a Spacer) instead of fill empty measures if you are working on measures that have a time signature change or in measures adjacent to a time signature change. Also use spacers in measures adjacent to the ossia measures with content.

You also need to use spacer notes instead of fill measures for the remaining measures in a line after the measure in which you inserted the hide ossia staff command.

I'm sure it will be easier the next time I do this. I'd be curious about other ways of representing two voices as an ossia staff won't work for some piano music I have in mind.

Please let me know if you found this helpful or if you found me ignoring some list-serve etiquette--I'm quite the newbie.
Thanks everyone!
-Ellen