[Denemo-devel] MIDI events for shortcuts

From: Andreas Schneider
Subject: [Denemo-devel] MIDI events for shortcuts
Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 19:44:10 +0200

I suggest a new feature which can enhance the usability of Denemo: the
possibility to use MIDI events as keyboard shortcuts.

Background: I have bought a master keyboard (AKAI MPK249), which I
solely would like to use for typesetting music with Denemo. That is, I
want to use the DAW control to navigate, the trigger pads to trigger
certain commands, the record button to (de)activate the link to the
keyboard (what the caps lock key now does), etc. The advantage is that I
do not need to change to the computer keyboard or mouse which makes
everything more efficient.

The trigger pads send standard note events, but on another channel as
the keyboard (the pitch identifies the pad). Knobs and DAW control use
MIDI Machine Control (MMC) and MIDI CC messages.

How easy or difficult would it be to implement that?

Andreas