[Denemo-devel] denemo-1.1.8 font errors

From: Donald Tanner
Subject: [Denemo-devel] denemo-1.1.8 font errors
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 01:55:08 -0500

Hello,

There are three fonts that are installed in
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo/ named:

address@hidden:/usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo# ls -l
total 1432
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1365884 Sep 30 19:37 Denemo.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   60400 Sep 30 19:37 emmentaler.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root   26848 Sep 30 19:37 feta.ttf

The denemo installation created the truetype/denemo directories
in '/usr/share/fonts' and installed the files there.
In other words, the directory /usr/share/fonts/truetype nor
/usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo (of course) did not exist
on my system.

These are the stock directories that exist on my system under
'/usr/share/fonts' prior to the denemo installation.

/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/
/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/
/usr/share/fonts/OTF/
/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/
/usr/share/fonts/TTF/
/usr/share/fonts/Type1/
/usr/share/fonts/cyrillic/
/usr/share/fonts/encodings/
/usr/share/fonts/kanjistrokeorders/
/usr/share/fonts/misc/
/usr/share/fonts/util/
--
I get these errors when starting denemo:

address@hidden: /usr/share/fonts $ denemo
Denemo - CRITICAL: Could not find feta.ttf
Denemo - CRITICAL: Could not find Denemo.ttf
Denemo - CRITICAL: Could not find emmentaler.ttf
--

Denemo starts in spite of the font errors above but as you can see
in the following screenshot it is lacking the fonts.

I found two solutions to this issue and here they are.

1) Add the new font directory created by denemo which is
   '/usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo/' to '/etc/fonts/local.conf' so
   fontconfig can find it. I then ran the following
   commands:
   # 'mkfontdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo'
   # 'mkfontcache /usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo/'
   # 'fc-cache -f -v'

/usr/share/fonts/truetype/denemo: caching, new cache contents:
3 fonts, 0 dirs
fc-cache: succeeded

2) I copied the three font files Denemo.ttf | emmentaler.ttf | feta.ttf
   to a directory that my system already has truetype fonts in
   '/usr/share/fonts/TTF/' and ran fc-cache.

Either of these solutions solve the problem and here is a screenshot
after either solution.
http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-09302014-082353pm.php

That is much better. The question I have now is why do I continue to
get the errors on the command line output? Denemo is, apparently, using
the fonts as you can see in comparing the screenshots the drastic
change in the gui. I realize that these errors are just bothersome at
this point, however, I would like to report this as you may need to
know. Also, I want to make sure I am building denemo correctly.
Is there a way to get rid of the errors? Remember, these errors continue
whether or not the font issue is corrected or not.

This is a screenshot of the errors in a terminal:
http://en.zimagez.com/zimage/screenshot-09302014-083413pm.php

This is my configure section for the denemo build:
--
./configure \
  --prefix=/usr \
  --libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
  --sysconfdir=/etc \
  --localstatedir=/var \
  --mandir=/usr/man \
  --docdir=/usr/doc/$PRGNAM-$VERSION \
  --build=$ARCH-slackware-linux \
  --enable-jack \
  --enable-alsa \
  --enable-guile_2_0 \
  --enable-aubio4 \
  --enable-doc \
  --enable-gtk3
--
There is one more error I continue to get and it has nothing to do with
the fonts that I will paste here now. Is the following gtk warning

   Gtk - WARNING : Refusing to add non-unique action 'InsertNote' to
   action group 'MenuActions'
--
System information:

OS: Linux
Distro: Slackware running Studioware
--

If there is anymore information you need please let me know.

Thank you so much for the Denemo project.

Regards,
Donald Tanner

http://studioware.org/