Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo bugs

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo bugs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 16:31:04 +0100

On Tue, 2014-10-14 at 17:08 +0200, Bert Wiest wrote:
> Dear Denemo developers,
>

> Denemo looks so promising, but unfortunately I'm stumped by several
> very stupid obstacles. I'm not asking for individual help,
but you won't mind if I give you some individual help? It helps develop
Denemo to interact with users ...
>  this is a bug report.
>

> I have mac os 10.9.5 (with the latest version of Xquartz, in case that
> helps). I'm running version 1.1.8 of Denemo.
>

> When I open Denemo, I manage to open a template, for instance string
> quartet. Here is a picture of what I see.

> First point, how do I add a title for the piece, title for the
> movement etc? I tried everything, I also read the online help and doc
> and looked at the videos, I cannot find the answer! Sorry for being so
> stupid, but I think I'm not alone.

There is View->Command Center where you can search for the word Title
the commands that have this word in their description are stepped
through and the location of the command given with any default short
cut.
The other approach - title for score-> go to score menu (you find
Titles ...)
title for movement -> go to movement menu
etc - the layout tries to be logical ...

> Second point, the triangles on the left are unhelpful to me. When I
> hover with the mouse over them, I see useful mouseover text, but
> that's not so practical.

The mouseover text, called tooltips, are excessive at first, use
Help->Turn Excessive Tooltips off/on when you don't need them.

The "triangles on the left" are palettes, (for beginners to click on),
you hide them by left clicking and Edit Palette. Just hide them as they
are just to let people who are trying it out put in a few notes, change
them etc., to give them confidence the program works.

> Third, when I try to resize the windows in the lower right corner (the
> canonical one for mac users), or any edge, nothing happens, or worse
> Denemo crashes. Only the upper right corner seems to work for
> resizing.

This sounds like real trouble with the build of the mac binary widget
library, the only thing you *could* try is the latest 1.1.9 version

http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/gub/uploads/denemo-0.0.0-0.darwin-x86.tar.bz2

otherwise, Jeremiah may be able to help.

> Fourth, when I try to quit without saving my work, Denemo always
> crashes.

before asking you what you want to do? Very strange, this is just normal
activity until you say you want to quit without saving.