Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo bugs

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Denemo bugs
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 09:26:27 +0100

On Thu, 2014-10-16 at 09:34 +0200, Bert Wiest wrote:
> Dear Richard,
>
> > but you won't mind if I give you some individual help? It helps develop
> > Denemo to interact with users ...
>
> That's very kind !
> >
> > There is View->Command Center where you can search for the word Title
> > the commands that have this word in their description are stepped
> > through and the location of the command given with any default short
> > cut.
> > The other approach - title for score-> go to score menu (you find
> > Titles ...)
> > title for movement -> go to movement menu
> > etc - the layout tries to be logical ...
>
> OK, I get it! However, all the title commands do not seem to work properly if
> I execute them from the command center.
Thank you - I've filed this as a bug report
http://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/index.php?43424
it is executing the wrong command :(

>  If I go through the second possibility you described, everything works
> beautifully. Are you sure you really invoke the same commands for creating
> title, composer etc if you use the two methods? I may just have been confused
> by the long list in the command center which has several items "title" which
> do different things...
>
> >> Second point, the triangles on the left are unhelpful to me. When I
> >> hover with the mouse over them, I see useful mouseover text, but
> >> that's not so practical.
There is another character which is missing ...

> > The mouseover text, called tooltips, are excessive at first, use
> > Help->Turn Excessive Tooltips off/on when you don't need them.
>
> Oh no, I find them very helpful.
I should have said, it is only the excessiveness that is turned off.

> > The "triangles on the left" are palettes, (for beginners to click on),
> > you hide them by left clicking and Edit Palette. Just hide them as they
> > are just to let people who are trying it out put in a few notes, change
> > them etc., to give them confidence the program works.
>
> OK, I did that, you're right. However, what I pointed out was that all
> palette buttons looked the same, which is unhelpful (just little triangles).
> I noticed that there is a way to make them show the correct symbol: first
> make each palette horizontal and then vertical again! I don't think this is
> intended behavior.
>
> Some specific symbols still do not show up correctly on the main palette:
> I moved the fermate, up-bow and down-bow symbols to the main palette, and the
> buttons show up empty,

>  I had to fill them with text. Worse, I didn't manage to move more than one
> articulation mark from the articulations-

>  to the main palette. I can move each of them to the main palette, but not
> more than one of them can show up
I guess what is happening is that the fonts bug is causing them to have
the same label, so that they over-write each other.
>  at the main palette at any one time.
>
> At some point, Denemo crashed, and when I restarted, all my modifications to
> the palettes had been forgotten!
the modifications are written on exit, which doesn't happen if you (or
something, in this case) kills the program.
>  However, this only happened to me once, I can't reproduce this bug.
>
> > try the latest 1.1.9 version
> > http://denemo.org/~jjbenham/gub/uploads/denemo-0.0.0-0.darwin-x86.tar.bz2
>
> I haven't had time to try that, yet.
>
> >> Fourth, when I try to quit without saving my work, Denemo always
> >> crashes.
> >
> > before asking you what you want to do? Very strange, this is just normal
> > activity until you say you want to quit without saving.
>
> No, after asking what to do. I say I really want to quit without saving, and
> then it crashes. Actually, in the mean time I noticed that it also crashes if
> I save my work and then quit - Denemo will not ask what to do, it will just
> crash. To summarize, at the present time I do not know a way to exit Denemo
> without crashing it. I see Jeremiah is thinking about that.

so these are all the same problem - crash on exit. It is not so serious
as crash before saving, something is not shutting down in an orderly
fashion :(

> Here is a new problem I encountered: if I want to write a crescendo "cresc"
> somewhere in the score

> (not followed by a horizontal line), I'm not sure how to do that!

> I mark the note which should have the "cresc" with a "crescendo(Off/On)"
I think you probably meant with Cresc (Off/On) here

> and then I mark a later note with the standard "end of crescendo", right?

> On the work window I see both the word "cresc" and the < mark, is that
> intended?

yes, to distinguish it from what you get with Start Crescendo (Off/On)
which starts a hairpin crescendo. It's a cruder indication than it needs
to be I admit.

> In the preview window I only see the word cresc, not the < mark, which is
> what I want,

>  but I feel I am not using the "official" method for obtaining this effect.

I think you forgot to mention what your problem was at this point ...
you will get a ----- line if the start and end are far enough apart to
need it. So if the effect you want to obtain is a single word "cresc"
under a note without a dotted line then this is not the "official" way
to get that. Rather, use Directives->Markings->Textual Annotation.
(There are rather a lot of things you *could* use here, actually... it
could do with simplification).

But I'm amazed that you are willing to persist with a program that
crashes on you - I would find that quite intolerable!

Oh! - and do include the list in your reply, as means others will
benefit from the explanations, and, who knows, may pluck up the courage
to ask for help.