Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols not rendered

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] chord symbols not rendered
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 13:05:21 +0000

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 08:22 -0400, Bric wrote:
> On 10/30/2014 04:36 PM, Richard Shann wrote:
> > On Thu, 2014-10-30 at 13:58 -0400, Bric wrote:
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I am using version 1.1.2.  Just tried to enter chord symbols.  Found it
> >> in my menus: Notes/Rest -> Markings -> Chord Symbols -> Edit Chord Symbols
> >>
> >> (1) If I enter "F#m7"  I get "INVALID!" in the typeset window, although
> >> my entry shows in denemo.
> > It requires LilyPond syntax.
> >> (2) If I enter "Fm" (removing the pound sign), the "INVALID" error in
> >> the typeset window goes away, but the chord text notation is still not
> >> rendered.  It doesn't show up
> > I believe the syntax is F:m (there are some examples given in the
> > prompt)
> > If you don't want to type in LilyPond chord notation for chord symbols
> > you can create a staff and set the Staff Properties->Chord Symbols and
> > the put actual chords in, they will be typeset as chord symbols.
>
> OK. I don't mind typing in Lilypond notation.
>
>   However, lilypond is taking liberties:  when I enter "F:m7.5-",
> lilypond (or is it denemo?) substitutes the half-diminished symbol: Fø7
>
> I want to keep it spelled as "Fm7(♭5)", for parentheses, if possible.

the default is something called ignatziek style, other styles are
available, you will need to consult the LilyPond docs and do an Insert
LilyPond to get them...
(Well, there is a whole bunch of stuff for customizing chord symbols in
Denemo which you could explore, I've written it for chord charts, but it
will work for your use too I guess).

> Should I post to the lilypond forum about it?  By the way a newly
> compiled git version keeps hanging/freezing on me, when I resize the
> typeset window (!??)

I've seen it do this on the scheme window occasionally. It is some bug
in Gtk I guess.

> But that's for another thread, I guess.  Also, I'm
> not sure I understand what's happening with the mailing list - am *I*
> doing something wrong?

No, the LilyPond mailing lists have gone dead too, some problem at
Savannah I guess, but I don't know how to flag it up; I expect they
know.

Richard