[Denemo-devel] The capture function in Denemo 1.1.8

From: Kaj Persson
Subject: [Denemo-devel] The capture function in Denemo 1.1.8
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:49:04 +0100

I am using Linux Mint LMDE and am looking for a programme to create code for LilyPond. Found Denemo which gave some hope when I read the description. So to investigate it I installed it, first from the Mint distribution, as usual a wee old, version 0.9.2, but it gave a hint of the behaviour of the programme.

Then I saw an info about some new properties, among others that, to let a facsimile image serve as a template when typing the notes. So I loaded and installed the latest version 1.1.8. Looked nice, a wee newer appearance, but mainly the same. Started to read the manual. Seems good, not too difficult. So I try. On my screen Denemo occupies one half, and on the other I have an image from a pdf file, shown via the document viewer Atril. Well, looking up "Movements" - - "Capture Measures (Score)" and a click on the left button of the mouse. Nothing happens. Tries the alternative "Staffs/Voices" - "Capture Score" - "Capture Measures (one staff", still no reaction. Starts reading again, and find that a new window should pop up, but that does not happen. So what could be the error? I have done the install procedure twice without any difference, first I did put the programme in the directory /usr/local/..., well I had to change a few lines at the top of the start file "Launch_Denemo.sh" but then it worked fine except for the above mentioned lack of functionality. So I installed it again, now completely in my user area /home/XXX, however still no reaction, no window pops up.

So I tried the alternative, to load a PDF directly ("File" - "Open" - "Open Source for Transcribing"), and now things happen. The programme crashes completely. Disappears from the screen, leaving no trace. Must be restarted.

Well, I have come to the end of the road, and I do not know what to do next. I have been looking for and in log files, but no trace anywhere. So does anybody have a hint of the reason or further investigation?