Re: [Denemo-devel] The capture function in Denemo 1.1.8

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] The capture function in Denemo 1.1.8
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 22:08:34 +0000

This email still hasn't reached the list (it seems the mailing list is
crawling along today) so I'm replying in advance :)

>         I am using Linux Mint LMDE and am looking for a programme to
>         create code
>         for LilyPond. Found Denemo which gave some hope when I read
>         the
>         description. So to investigate it I installed it, first from
>         the Mint
>         distribution, as usual a wee old, version 0.9.2, but it gave a
>         hint of
>         the behaviour of the programme.
>
>         Then I saw an info about some new properties, among others
>         that, to let
>         a facsimile image serve as a template when typing the notes.
>         So I loaded
>         and installed the latest version 1.1.8. Looked nice, a wee
>         newer
>         appearance, but mainly the same. Started to read the manual.
>         Seems good,
>         not too difficult. So I try. On my screen Denemo occupies one
>         half, and
>         on the other I have an image from a pdf file, shown via the
>         document
>         viewer Atril. Well, looking up "Movements" - - "Capture
>         Measures
>         (Score)" and a click on the left button of the mouse. Nothing
>         happens.
>         Tries the alternative "Staffs/Voices" - "Capture Score" -
>         "Capture
>         Measures (one staff", still no reaction. Starts reading again,
>         and find
>         that a new window should pop up, but that does not happen. So
>         what could
>         be the error?

Hmm, I think it is indeed broken in Gtk3 - this old method is not
getting used now because of the newer method (below)

>          I have done the install procedure twice without any
>         difference, first I did put the programme in the directory
>         /usr/local/..., well I had to change a few lines at the top of
>         the start
>         file "Launch_Denemo.sh" but then it worked fine except for the
>         above
>         mentioned lack of functionality. So I installed it again, now
>         completely
>         in my user area /home/XXX, however still no reaction, no
>         window pops up.
>
>         So I tried the alternative, to load a PDF directly ("File" -
>         "Open" -
>         "Open Source for Transcribing"), and now things happen. The
>         programme
>         crashes completely. Disappears from the screen, leaving no
>         trace. Must
>         be restarted.

Well, this is the newer method - there is a demo of it
https://vimeo.com/62188678
and this is what I use on a daily basis, so no danger of that being
obsolete.
I've just run Launch_Denemo.sh for the version 1.1.8 in a Debian O/S and
done the Open->Open Source for Transcribing and all is well, I was able
to create links to the source, and then to re-open the source using the
link. This test I did on a Debian stable running inside a virtual
machine.
Are you able to run denemo under gdb to get a back trace from the crash?

Richard