Re: [Denemo-devel] feedback on some new features

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] feedback on some new features
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 2014 09:26:06 +0000

On Wed, 2014-11-05 at 19:27 -0500, Bric wrote:
> some of this is belated, perhaps...

> Spill-over:  mixed feelings.  Or, practically speaking, it's good
> sometimes, and sometimes worse than the alternative:
>
> spill-over is good when you actually WANT a tied spill-over.  But -
> correct me if I am wrong

I will correct you, look in Notes/Rests->Select Duration

>  - denemo doesn't let you change duration ahead
> of typing in a note, WITHOUT CHANGING THE LAST EXISTING NOTE... .  So:
> If a 4/4 measure currently already contains:  { 1/8, 1/4, 1/4, 1/4 ... }
> and you just want to add an 1/8th note, to fill the measure and NOT
> spill ... that forces the automatic spill-over situation.  Your next
> note will be a 1/4, and spill over 1/8-1/8... leaving you the extra task
> of deleting the spilled (second) 1/8, then cursoring left, over to the
> first 1/8, removing the tie, then cursoring back right... Ugh...
> tedious, compared to before, when it just placed my 1/4, highlighted the
> bar red/pink, and let me change the duration with just one key stroke.
>
> Where is the toggle to revert to the old way?
Edit->Change Preferences->Command Behavior
>   And maybe ideally there
> should be an on-the-fly toggle, with some keystrokes.  It *IS* useful
> when you need it.

> Shortcut list: great start.  I haven't found a way to search ("Ctrl+F")
> the list, though, without copying and pasting the whole thing into
> notepad or some such.

I think that is worth a bug report. You can search in the Command Center
however.

> Deleting a note:  I actually grew to like the old way

you write as if to indicate you have discovered a change in behavior: it
is a bug if you have. We do not have the option to change the behavior
of commands in Denemo, since they could be in use by other's scripts
which would then break. So please report any such bug. (The downside is
we have a lot of obsolete (hidden) commands, which still work when
invoked. Please report any bugs you find (commands deleted, or altered
in semantics).

Thanks for the feedback.

Richard