Re: [Denemo-devel] phrases for lyric-ridden music and curser jumping whe

From: Ellen Schwindt
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] phrases for lyric-ridden music and curser jumping when inserting chords
Date: Sun, 9 Nov 2014 08:11:02 -0500

To clarify about the pedal question:

I usually enter durations in one pass through a phrase or section, then go back and enter pitches. When I get to chords, I use the pedal to enter all the notes of a chord simultaneously--and this is very useful. I wish that the cursor would advance only one note after entering the chord so I could simply enter the next chord using the same method. Instead I have to arrow back to get the cursor on the right chord. I'd be interested in other people's uses of that feature.

and thanks for the phrasing info--that was helpful.
-Ellen

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 3:59 AM, Richard Shann <address@hidden> wrote:
On Sat, 2014-11-08 at 23:23 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> I am using version 1.2.0.-0.mingw
>

> Here is a lyric question. Can I have some sort of slur-like phrase
> marking without affecting the connection of lyric syllables

that is melisma (???)

>  to particular notes?

The simplest way from inside Denemo would be to use a phrasing slur
instead of a slur. (Notes/Rests->Slurs->Begin/End Phrasing Slur

More sophisticated would be to use Directives->Insert LilyPond to put in
something to tell LilyPond whether to take into account slurs, ties or
beaming as melisma indicators, e.g. inserting

\set melismaBusyProperties = #'()

would turn off all melismata while I think the syntax for just excluding
slurs would be

\set melismaBusyProperties = #'('slurMelismaBusy)
(untested!)

> Here is one about using a pedal connected to a midi keyboard. When I
> use the pedal to insert a chord--how can I keep the curser from
> jumping two notes ahead instead of only one?

Hmm, it seems that on pedal up the cursor moves two steps to the right -
I've filed a bug about that. I don't know why that would be - when
appending chords that is harmless.
When not appending chords I see that it edits the chord at the cursor, I
don't see any method for inserting a chord using the pedal there, other
than first inserting a rhythm (ie duration). Perhaps that's ok?
Feedback from users is needed here - I mostly use the Alt key to enter
chords, and I've not much experience of editing chords using the MIDI
keyboard. (I don't do much composing/arranging, just transcribing).
There could well be obvious improvements for use by composers ...