Re: [Denemo-devel] respelling and simplifying accidentals

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] respelling and simplifying accidentals
Date: Sat, 29 Nov 2014 18:09:22 +0000

On Sat, 2014-11-29 at 11:49 -0500, Bric wrote:
> I can't figure out how to force denemo to re-spell accidentals in a
> segment I transposed from A major to A-flat major.
>From this mention of a "segment" I presume you are referring to
transposing the actual input notes (the ones that are displayed in the
Denemo display).
>  It's spelling the
> notes as G#, C#, D#, etc. (instead of Ab, Db, Eb, etc)

I didn't write this transposition code but I am very confident in the
abilities of the guy that did, and whenever I have used it and got
something I wasn't expecting a careful analysis has always shown that it
was my error. The problem is that you have to choose the name of the
interval by which you want to transpose with care: an augmented unison
up (ie transposition from C to C-sharp) is not the same as a minor
second up (which would take C to D-flat). Likewise a augmented 6th is
not the same as an minor seventh. And so on.

> When I transposed from F major to E major, it was OK.  But that was the
> initial key signature.  The A to A-flat is for a segment that follows a
> Key signature CHANGE (in the middle of the score)... not sure if that
> currently makes a difference.
The commands in Notes/Rests->Transpose Music only act on notes and
rests. They don't care what key signatures you may have set.

> Shouldn't there be a special function that forces simplification of
> spelling, with respect to the key?

I am not sure what you mean here.

If you would like to specify a short set of notes (E-flat, C-sharp etc)
which you have selected and the interval code (p4, m6 ...) that you gave
the transposition command (and whether it was the "Arbitrary transpose
down" or "Arbitrary transpose up" command) then I can help I'm sure.