Re: [Denemo-devel] optimizing staves or not

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] optimizing staves or not
Date: Tue, 02 Dec 2014 14:14:47 +0000

On Tue, 2014-12-02 at 08:57 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> Hello Richard, et. al.

> I find that when I toggle the command under Score, Typesetter, Hide
> empty Staves it does not have an effect on the result--the empty
> staves are still hidden.

The help for this command is too cryptic. It is for orchestral scores
where a part can be resting for many bars. All the staffs are present on
the first system ("line" in layman's terminology) and on subsequent
systems only staffs that have music are present.

What you describe "empty staves are still hidden" sounds like something
is not working - when you first click "Hide Empty Staffs (Off/On)" a
button appears on the Titles button bar. When you execute it a second
time it vanishes.
Do you see this happening?

>  I'd like them to appear even though they are empty for a few
> measures.
Not sure what you are wanting to see - you should see as described
above. You need a long enough score to have more than one system and one
staff has to have a long enough stretch of rests to fill one of the
systems after the first for the command to alter the typeset score.

BTW, you didn't get back about the tie question you asked. I hope it was
what you wanted. It occurred to me after that what you may want to do is
put the two movements into a single Denemo movement, and put a closing
barline with a line break (or even page break) at that point, (and some
text to announce the new movement beginning). This would probably be the
more conventional notation for a movement ending with "attacca" to the
following one if you have a tied note.

HTH