Re: [Denemo-devel] Title Page editing questions--the first of several e-

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Title Page editing questions--the first of several e-mails
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 17:59:55 +0000

On Tue, 2014-12-16 at 16:17 +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-12-16 at 08:02 -0500, Ellen Schwindt wrote:
> > Also, I have a problem with some scrunched up dynamics. In the excerpt
> > attached it's runs from measure 2-4. How do I solve this?
>
> I rather think you need to think hard about what you would like to see
> (more importantly, what your players would like to see). That is, I'm
> thinking this is more of a music engraving question - how do you
> indicate a rapid sequence of crescendi and dimunendi? Well they are
> rapid in terms of the changes per note, but if your tempo is slow enough
> it might not be an extraordinary requirement - in which case consulting
> a book on how to typeset such things could be good (people mention
> Gould's Behind Bars book a lot, and there is at least one on-line source
> of a guide to typesetting music which seems to be very detailed).
>
> Well, one way or another you need to decide what exactly you want the
> printed page to look like, then achieving it becomes possible to
> contemplate.

I was looking at something else just now in the LilyPond documentation
and came across what you do if you want the notes to move apart to allow
for the dynamics (one possible solution) ...
In Denemo at the beginning of the dynamics staff I used
Directives->Insert LilyPond and put in this text

\override DynamicText.extra-spacing-width = #'(-6 . 6)

That stopped the collisions - smaller values than 6 might work ...

If this looks like what you would want, I can add it to the Denemo
commands.

HTH