Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:04:14 +0000

On Sun, 2014-12-21 at 11:05 +0000, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Hi Richard
>

> Thanks for your reply but sadly I'm none the wiser.

no problem, these replies are usually a shot in the dark, unless the
writer has given considerable background on where they are coming from,
technically.

> I'd be grateful if you  could explain step-by-step how I would do one
> or both of the following:

I've quite a bit of experience in this field, so I can say with
confidence that this isn't the best way forward at this stage: you may
find that after following all those instructions you only achieved part
of what you wanted and that something essential couldn't be done. So all
your effort would be wasted.

What is better is to post an image of the sort of score you want to
generate (or refer to an image on
http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/common-notation-for-percussion
 or elsewhere)
and an outline of what MIDI signals you want to generate for some
example note types. (I have a general understanding that noteheads and
staff line(s) are used to indicate percussion, and that some particular
MIDI signals (something like NOTE_ON channel 9, Key 60, Velocity 127)
are used to create percussion sounds in GM spec.)

Given that it would be possible for me to judge the difficulty of
getting Denemo to do that.

> 1 - Create a icon on the main denemo screen OR create a shortcut key
> that would switch the active notehead type so that every note entered
> afterwards has that notehead until I choose another
>

> 2 - How to select multiple notes and change all their noteheads in one
> stroke
>

> I get the impression from your reply that 2 isn't possible but 1 is?

Actually (2) is always possible - there is a command that applies any
given command to all the notes in the selection - given a command that
does the specific task, like (d-ChangeNotehead "diamond") would if you
installed it.
But both of (1) and (2) come into the trivial category - the real point
is, this is not all you wish to do, so there may be no use doing that if
other features you need can't be made available.

HTH