Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 08:57:10 +0000

On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 08:12 +0000, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> Hi Richard
>

> I added a new 'cross' entry to the notes menu for that little bit of
> script and I also assigned it a shortcut key but even when I use the
> script via a shortcut key, it still only applies to the note at the
> cursor. This is my experience under Denemo 1.2.0 under Arch Linux.
>
> Also, it doesn't make much sense to me that these scripts should only
> work on multiple notes when applied via a menu w/ a shortcut key
> instead of from just a menu, icon or shortcut key alone.

Well, as you are probably suspecting, that is because this is not the
case. These scripts just work, they don't "work on multiple notes" or on
anything in particular, they just do what the script says.

Now there *is* a script (stored at Edit->Select->Apply Shortcut to
Objects in Selection) which does what that label implies and the tooltip
spells out a bit more, it puts the cursor on the first object in the
selection and then intercepts the keyboard keypresses command execution.
When it gets the command that would be executed it executes it and then
it also moves the cursor to the next object in the selection and again
intercepts the keyboard keypresses command execution.

There are scripts that have been written that apply to the note at the
cursor or to the selection if there is one - ornaments for example use
this (internally it uses a script called SingleAndSelectionSwitcher
IIRC) but I suspect all ancient built-in commands are still as
originally written - things like dotting the note at the cursor. Many of
them would make no sense applied to the selection (e.g. go to
beginning).

Hope that clarifies things a bit.

Richard