Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation

From: adam
Subject: Re: [Denemo-devel] Using denemo for drum notation
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 22:05:56 +0000

On Mon, Dec 22, 2014 at 09:02:48PM +0000, Richard Shann wrote:
> On Mon, 2014-12-22 at 20:30 +0000, Dan MacDonald wrote:
> > Hi Richard
> >
> >         Now there *is* a script (stored at Edit->Select->Apply
> >         Shortcut to
> >         Objects in Selection) which does what that label implies and
> >         the tooltip
> >         spells out a bit more, it puts the cursor on the first object
> >         in the
> >         selection and then intercepts the keyboard keypresses command
> >         execution.
> >         When it gets the command that would be executed it executes it
> >         and then
> >         it also moves the cursor to the next object in the selection
> >         and again
> >         intercepts the keyboard keypresses command execution.
> >

> > I'm glad that I finally achieved  my aim of adjusting multiple notes
> > at once but I don't think it shoud've been this tricky as to require
> > multiple emails to explain.
> > I  don't understand why the user should have to choose 'Apply Shortcut
> > to Objects in Selection' before selections work as the user would
> > expect? Surely the user would always want shortcuts to apply to every
> > selected note otherwise they wouldn't select more than one note?
> > There must be a reason you have introduced this extra step but I can't
> > think what it would be?
>
> I think it is just that originally commands applied to the note at the
> cursor. Then someone introduced selecting music for cut and paste. Then
> someone started writing scripts to apply commands to the note at the
> cursor or the whole selection if present. But they didn't get round to
> many commands that could be so scripted. (They could have gone back to
> the original C code and re-written all the commands to apply to the
> selection, but that would have been more work requiring competent C
> coding skills which I don't think they had).

This is exactly how the functionality grew.

> Meanwhile, I noticed that you could write a single script that could be
> used with any command, so I did that (I forget what specifically
> prompted me to do it, perhaps just that I could see that trawling
> through every command was never going to get done).
>
> Denemo is rather under-developed for composers/arrangers, I only make
> transcriptions myself and so that area is the most developed. I don't
> think there is any other program that enables you to transcribe an
> ancient manuscript as quickly and accurately as Denemo. But I don't have
> much insight into what composers do. (I am told that most of them use
> paper and pencil, only turning to a computer when they have finished
> composition).
>
> Denemo is developing in response to requests from users - the original
> design had very modest goals and it has long out-grown them. For
> example, I just added a proof-reading facility: you generate a typeset
> score and send it to the person who wrote the music, they add
> annotations to the PDF and send it back. You can now open this in Denemo
> and locate the places in the music where the annotations have been
> placed.
> I created this for a real demand (mine!), but you will see a string of
> commits that are in response to external requests over the past year or
> so.
>
> So, I think the bottom line is that Denemo did not have an ambitious
> design when created 15 years ago, and so it has many eccentricities.

When it was started it was a university project which had modest goals, when I
took it on I was doing my PhD and looking at using it as an interface to
perform various analytical tasks and then letting the lilypond output do the
rendering as those were my goals.

It has grown a great deal since I stopped active development, as I don't/didn't
have a great deal of spare time.

Adam